The hells of being a founder, killing projects before they kill you, intellectual property 101, and invisible unicorns. Michael and Paul give updates on Auth0, Upstream, Palo Alto Networks, Symantec, and more!
Startup Articles & Discussion
- Don’t Play with Dead Snakes — Kill Projects Before They Kill You ==> balance bias for action with knowing when to drop it like it’s hot
- Intellectual Property 101: What Your Business Needs To Know About Copyright Law ==>
- The Uber-Waymo Lawsuit: It Should Be Easy to Poach Talent, But Not IP ==>
- 17 Examples of Fabulous Explainer Videos ==>
- Invisible unicorns: 35 big companies that started with little or no money ==>
- The Hells of Being a Founder ==>
Startup & Security Notes of Interest
New $100 Million Fund Backs Cloudflare-Related Startups
Trend Micro launches $100M fund
Palo Alto Networks forms a $20M Venture Fund
- “* $20 million security venture fund expects to collaborate with Greylock Partners and Sequoia Capital”
- “Fund will be aimed at seed-, early- and growth-stage security companies with a cloud-based application approach”
Upstream raised $2M
- “Upstream is a cyber security platform that uses big data and machine learning technology to provide security alerts for the automotive industry.”
Auth0 raises $30 million
- “Auth0 develops and operates an authentication platform that allows developers to implement identity solutions for their applications.”
- $56.7M in funding
sumologic raised $75M in Series F
- $235.6M in funding since 2010, including 2 large growth round investments
Symantec acquired Fireglass (undisclosed amount)
- “Fireglass is a provider of agentless isolation solution that detects and eliminates ransomware, malware and other phishing threats in real-time.”
- Looks like $20M in funding – but that’s an odd Series A, so the data might not be complete
- Evidence that large companies purchase the innovation that works?
- What does this signal for unicorns competing against large, embedded companies?
Zscaler to hire banks for IPO – sources
- “Zscaler is a cloud-based information security firm that offers web security, automated threat forensics and malware protection services.”
- Funding information is off by a bit… so over $148M
The Startup Journey: Updates
- Rethinking what it means to win in security ==>
- Security leaders need to focus on minimum effort, not minimum compliance ==>
- Are new security specialists starting at a disadvantage?
Full Show NotesVisit http://securityweekly.com/category/ssw/ for all the latest episodes!