Leveling the playing field for entrepreneurs, using storytelling to increase sales, online crowdfunding, and more. In the startup security news for the week, Slack and Oracle team up, ForeScout files for an IPO, and updates from Social Capital, Guidewire, Forensic Logic, and more!
Article Discussion on Leadership, Innovation, and Startup Success
- Should You Consider Emotional Intelligence When Hiring Your Startup’s Team?
- The 8 signs you really need IT due diligence
- How ICOs will level the playing field for entrepreneurs ==> See below for more discussion
- Does Online Crowdfunding Reward Actual Innovation?
- How To Tell a Story To Make a Sale (But Not the One You Think)
Startup & Security News You Need to Know
Social Capital to take startups public without an IPO
- “special purchase acquisition company”
Slack and Oracle Partnership
Forensic Logic raised $20M in Equity Round
- Forensic Logic develops a SaaS-based platform that enables law enforcement to share, search and analyze information across geographies and IT systems.
ForeScout filed for $100M IPO
- Latest rounds value company at $1B; raised over $100M (and still losing money)
- “ForeScout develops cloud based network solutions enabling organizations to continuously monitor and mitigate security exposures and cyber attacks.”
Guidewire Software acquired Cyence for $275M
- “Cyence develops a cyber risk modeling platform that offers data collection, cybersecurity and big data analytics solutions for the insurance sector.”
- “Cyence has developed the industry’s first economic cyber risk modeling platform quantifying cyber risk in probabilities and dollars. Cyence’s unique solutions help the insurance industry more effectively manage cyber risk from prospecting and selecting, to assessment and pricing, and managing portfolios, exposures and accumulations.”
- At least $40M in Series A — but the rounds could be a bit off
Startup Journey Updates
- Keynoting EC Council CISO Conference in Atlanta on Tuesday – 3 questions to earn respect for your leadership
- Launching the High-Performance Coaching & Advisory Practice (it’s official)
- Scheduling Straight Talk Workshops now –> Dallas in October, Boston in November, working on a few other cities; always interested in staying longer to work with more people
- Revamp of website underway, including more writing, newsletter, and resources
Visit http://securityweekly.com/category/ssw for all the latest episodes!