In the Application Security News, Paul and Keith talk about impatient employers designing their own courses, measurable CPU differences in AWS from Intel CPU vulnerabilities, the CEO of Intel selling a gigantic amount of stock, and Starbucks Wi-Fi mines Monero via CoinHive! All that and more, on the first episode of Application Security Weekly!
Article Discussion on Leadership, Innovation, and Startup Success
Managers Must Be Insane To Brainstorm In Groups
- Turns out the concept of brainstorming as a group consistently produces fewer ideas of lesser quality
- Production Blocking (you can process faster alone)
- Evaluation Apprehension
- Free riding
How a Fast-Growing Startup Built Its Sales Team for Long-Term Success
- Interesting blend between short-term needs and long-term success
- Recruiting (not just for sales) is essential – who are you targeting, and what is your investment?
- Interviewing and hiring – why sometimes picking at random is a better option and the real keys of communication and process
- Training and development
The Real Reasons Companies Are So Focused on the Short Term
- Explore how this plays out for security leaders — and how we can influence change in organizations beyond pleading and incentives
- Beware the hidden costs of outside leadership and embrace the value of domain leadership
- Options instead of decentralizing
- Research over development (early stage technology plays)
How to Break Bad Business Habits
- What bad practices exist without understanding?
- Note the bit about admiring the problem?
- Reverse benchmarking
- Change for the sake of change
More than a feeling: Ten design practices to deliver business value
- Design is more than a department (or function)
- Design is more than a phase
- Rely on evidence
Startup & Security News You Need to Know
Barracuda Networks acquired PhishLine for undisclosed amount
- I can’t find any funding data – which might be why the sum is undisclosed