Paul and Keith Hoodlet discuss The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win!
Topic: The Pheonix Project Book Review For Enterprise Security Professionals
I’ve just finished reading this book (again) and found it even better the second time around. There are some things you should know going into it:
- Many say you should read “The Goal” by Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox
- You should also read The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations (I have not yet)
- Security is all about process, and these books will help you truly understand how process works, taking pages right out of lean manufacturing
- It helped me realize a few things:
- Choosing which work to start on first is one of the most critical steps
- Making sure you have all the requirements and materials before you start is a must
- The four different types of work
- The firefighting type of work is the worst
- I’ve worked with all the characters in the book (in my mind)
- I have already made process improvements as a result
- I feel I better understand Devops and can lead my team more effectively now that I understand the goals of Devops in context
Visit http://secweekly2.wpengine.com/esw for all the latest episodes!