Paul, Doug and Tyler interview Dug Song about how he got his start in Information Security, what prompted him to begin work for dsniff, his transition from engineer to entrepreneur, what he learned from his experiences at Arbor Networks, why he decided to found a company in the authentication space, how to grow a company while maintaining your vision and culture, CISCO’s acquisition of DUO Security, what it’s like to be integrated into such a large company, what makes company’s great, advice for talented tech people who want to become entrepreneurs, Dug’s book recommendation for inspiring entrepreneurs, and much, much more!
Visit https://www.securityweekly.com/psw for all the latest episodes!
To learn more about our sponsors visit: The Security Weekly Sponsor’s Page
Dug Song – Engineer to Entrepreneur
- Part 1 – Introduction and Background
- How did you get your start in information security?
- Tell us about some of the software you worked on while still in school at the University of Michigan.
- What prompted you to begin work on dsniff?
- Part 2 – Founder
- In 2000 you founded Arbor Networks, was that the point when you began to transition from engineer to entrepreneur?
- In the early PC days, some say Apple’s success was driven by the fact that they recruited business leaders (Jobs was known for his ability to talk to people, design things and his vision, not his technical prowess). The competition was largely being driven by hackers and computer nerds. What changed that allows hackers and engineers to move on to create successful tech companies?
- What did you learn from the experiences at Arbor Networks? What prompted you to move on to a different company?
- Why did you decide to found a company in the authentication space?
- When I think of Duo, I think of a company that has an outstanding culture, how do you continue to grow and maintain your vision and culture?
- Part 3 – The Journey
- Cisco’s acquisition of Duo is, in my opinion, one of the greatest acquisitions in security, how did it come about and what was it like to be integrated into such a large company?
- What makes companies great? Some say great sales and marketing, others say great tech, but clearly, if you get any of those things wrong you are likely doomed for failure?
- What advice do you have for talented tech people that want to become entrepreneurs?
- What is your recommendation for an inspiring book for entrepreneurs? (Note: We are HUGE Wu-Tang fans)
- Cisco Zero Trust: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/zero-trust.html
- Duo website: https://duo.com/
- Our next webcast is February 13th with Sri Sundaralingam, Vice President, Product and Solutions Marketing at ExtraHop where we will discuss Cloud Native Network Detection and Response! Register for our upcoming webcasts by visiting securityweekly.com, selecting the webcast drop down from the top menu bar and clicking registration.
- Join us at InfoSecWorld 2020 – March 30 – April 1, 2020 at the Disney Contemporary Resort! Security Weekly listeners save 15% off the InfoSec World Main Conference or World Pass! Visit securityweekly.com/ISW2020 and click the register button to register with our discount code!
- Attend RSA Conference 2020, February 24-28 and join thousands of security professionals, forward-thinking innovators and solution providers for five days of actionable learning, inspiring conversation and breakthrough ideas. Register before January 24 and save $900 on a Full Conference Pass. Save an extra $150 by going to securityweekly.com/rsac2020 and using our code to register!