We welcome back Amanda Berlin, CEO of Mental Health Hackers to talk about why its important to educate technology professionals about unique mental health risks faced by people in the field, and how we can provide them with the proper support services to help!
Paul’s tips to mental health and wellness for infosec professionals:
- Have a great home office – Many of us work from home, either full-time or part-time. Balancing life with work is a challenge and I find it is an advantage to be able to work from home. I tend to work either early in the morning or late at night to catch up on various projects. This is a great time to work as it is quiet, and with busy family life can provide more time during the day to spend on non-work related activities, without falling behind. The key for me is to have a really awesome work environment at home that is separate from the rest of the house and has accommodations that allow you to look forward to going to work (nice sounding headphones and speakers, 3 monitors, comfy chair, plenty of USB hubs, SD card readers, a dedicated and fast workstation, etc…).
- Find a hobby outside of tech – The fun part here is that you get to pick! Sports, music, carpentry, whatever, pick something.
- Go on vacation – Planning vacations has never been my strong suit, however, it is important to plan them, having something to look forward to. My recent family vacation was wonderful for the entire family, provided us a nice break and allowed us to experience things together outside of the daily grind. Insert non-formatted text here
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/securityweekly
- Register for our upcoming webcasts with SaltStack, DomainTools, and LogRhythm by going to securityweekly.com/webcasts. If you have missed any of our previously recorded webcasts, you can find our on-demand library at securityweekly.com/ondemand
- Security Weekly is returning to Vegas this August for BlackHat and DefCon! If you would like to request a briefing or sponsor an interview on-site at BlackHat, please go to securityweekly.com/booking and submit your request!
- Security Weekly will be at Hacker Halted in Atlanta, GA this October 10th-11th! EC-Council is offering our listeners a 15% discount to sit for any of their Bootcamp Courses or Workshops! Visit Securityweekly.com/hackerhalted to register now!